Saturday, June 21, 2008

Relay For Life

Today and yesterday were my town's Relay For Life days at the high school track. Our store donated money and asked people, if they could spare the time, to go down and walk. My Aunt Christine is a cancer survivor, so I said of course I would.

Since we're a grocery store, our team motto was "Pushing For A Cure" and someone would push a shopping cart as they walked. I took it for 5 and a half miles today and just thought about what my life would have been like without my aunt.

For those of you who don't know my Aunt Chrissy, let me tell you a little bit about her. She's always been a joker and someone who likes to make other people laugh. She was always the aunt who would get me the new game for my GameBoy or Sega that I wanted instead of books or clothes.

I still remember being sat down and told that she had cancer. It was a scary word then and it still scares me now. She had breast cancer and had to have some of her lymphnods removed. As a result, she doesn't have feeling in the upper part of her left arm.

But she was able to joke about it, and get through it. Everytime I get a present from her, I can hear her laugh in my mind and I smile, grateful that she's still around.

3 comments:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Good for you for paerticipating in this!

Oh, I sent you an email re:purchases..

Snark Meister said...

Cool! I should be able to get a m.o. at work tomorrow and send it off Thursday.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

That is fine. Have you gotten the lunch box yet?